Jun 07

Print this Post

For Pet’s Sake – Avoid the Algae

Not all algae is harmful, but it’s hard to know which is which. Listen up:

black dog1

Who let the dogs out? If you’re around a harmful algal bloom, hopefully no one did! (via NOAA)

Too many nutrients in lakes and ponds can cause algae to grow out of control, producing harmful algal blooms. Some unleash toxins that threaten our health…and our animals’ too. When ingested, touched, or even inhaled, they can make your pet sick or even die. So what can you do?

Bischoff: “Well, the first step is prevention.”

That’s Karyn Bischoff of Cornell University. She says you can’t tell by looking if a bloom makes toxins or not, so keep animals away. If you catch Fido in green, scummy water, remove him quickly, and don’t let him lick his paws or fur.

Bischoff: “The best bet is to get them cleaned up as fast as possible and consult with a veterinarian.”

When it comes to your precious pet, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Hear More:

Listen to Karyn Bischoff talk about where HABs are typically found, to help you be more alert when you’re out playing with your pooch.

Get Schooled:

The Fine Print:

  • This segment was produced with Cornell’s Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, and supported by agreement with New York Sea Grant, funds provided by the Environmental Protection Fund under the authority of the New York Ocean and Great Lakes Ecosystem Conservation Act. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this broadcast are those of the originators and do not necessarily reflect the views of Stony Brook University or New York Sea Grant.



Permanent link to this article: http://www.currentcast.org/toxic-contamination/for-pets-sake-avoid-the-algae/